Re: CULT: Ultra Dawn and Moss

--- In iris-talk@y..., Bill Shear <wshear@h...> wrote:
> On 9/9/01 7:52 PM, "alhbee@a..." <alhbee@a...> wrote:
>
> > I've had a problem with moss in an iris bed. Five ounces of Dawn
Ultra dishwashing
> > hand soap in 3 gallon sprayer. It does kill the moss and I've
seen no
> > ill-effects on the iris.
>
> Al, I have a similar problem, and after about 2 years of lightly
sprinkling
> hydrated lime and granular dolomitic limestone on the bed, the moss
> disappeared and has not come back.

Hi - I just walked in from the yard, where I was out putting
dolomitic limestone on my lawn. I live in Southwest Washington state,
where my two native plants are moss and camas. I like both of them,
however, every few years, I need to give the grass in the lawn a
fighting chance. I think the important thing in Bill's message is
the "lightly sprinkling" of the lime - our instinct is that if a
little a good, a lot will be better. I spread it as thinly as I can.
This keeps my grass/moss ratio in line. I also use a tiny bit of
dolomite limestone in my beds. But a caution note, at least for me.
My beds are mixed plants, including some real acid lovers, like
blueberries, ligonberries, azaelas, along with the irises, peonies,
and a couple of old fashioned roses. So I have to be spot specific
with the lime. I have found it to be quite beneficial, and I only
need to lime about every four years. Gail in Southwest Washington,
where our nights are again cooland moist, and the mornings hazy.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!