Re: Louisiana Iris help

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Louisiana Iris help
  • From: tomd@cals.lib.ar.us
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:21:18 -0600

Your plan might work.  But, keep in mind that Louisiana irises, in their
natural state, never really go into complete dormancy.

Why not heel-in your potted irises outside?  I winter-over many Louisiana
irises in pots, but I always pile organic material over the pots.  The idea
is to prevent wide swings whereby the pots freeze one day and then thaw the
next.  I realize that my winters (Zone 7) are much warmer than Zone 5.  It
will not matter if the pots freeze; they can tolerate that, but the wide
swings are probably rough on them.

The main damage from freezing weather occurs when the irises suffer a deep
freeze WHILE IN GROWTH.  I never worry about my potted irises, but in
March...when the irises are putting forth their new growth...they are
highly vulnerable...whether in pots or not.

Good luck, Florence.

Tom W. Dillard, Curator
Butler Center for Arkansas Studies
Central Arkansas Library System