RE: OT: words are not enough

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] OT: words are not enough
  • From: "Janice L. Haney" <haney@spa.net>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 07:06:46 -0400

I'm coming out of lurk-dom with a very serious plea.  Please, please donate
blood if you are able.

I work for a medium sized medical facility in upstate NY, about 3 1/2 hours
directly north of the NYC disaster.  We were put on alert by 2:00pm
yesterday to be prepared for emergency situations, including taking in ALC
(Alternal Levels of Care) from the local hospitals, as they receive patients
from the city.  This is not a joke.  We are prepared to convert two lounges
and our activities rooms into temporary patient facilities.

This is the first time in my 16 years of nursing home experience that it has
ever happened.  We're struggling on staffing issues to deal with the 356
patients on a day to day basis.  Thankfully due to the professionalism and
dedication of our staff, the nursing and aide employees have opened their
arms and hearts for whatever may come in the next few days.  I'll know in a
few hours how this will directly affect us.

When our Director of Nursing called the Red Cross to see what we could do,
their only request was BLOOD, and any available medical personal to be
dispatched to NYC.  Within 4 hours of the attacks, there were 3 blood drives
in the Albany area.  Our blood drive in Saratoga will be today.

This is a tragedy in the US unequalled in our lifetime by the sheer
magnitude of people affected.  My life was affected when the Oklahoma City
bombing occurred as I had family in & around the area.  In that attack we
lost 300 people, and there was a need for blood.  This latest attack will
most likely physically affect thousands, the need for blood will be greater.

I need to go now, and face what today will bring... and yes, roll up my
sleeves for a pint of O negative.

Thank you.

Jan Haney
Zone 4, Region 2