Re: Everyone is an american

  • Subject: Re: Everyone is an american
  • From: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 04:40:05 -0000

Your statement about losing, and now regaining, our soul as a nation
moves me to share a thought which may be felt too political to be
appropriate, but...

Throughout what was called the Gulf War, watching with a sickened,
heavy heart as U.S. planes bombed the bejeezus out of Arabs and their
country, from a safe height, with a nation held rapt by the TV
pyrotechnics, the self-congratulations of Bush Sr. and our other
political 'leaders' about wreaking such destruction without a single
American fatality, made me say to a friend, "This is the worst thing
that could happen to this country."

Declaring such cold-blooded havoc and death a 'victory' made me feel
we had really lost our soul, as you say.  This belated consequence,
as I can't but see it, horrific as it is, has a kind of
inevitability, even justice, to it that make me feel, as we band
together now and feel for each other, that we are regaining our
soul.  Now if we can just resist this vicious circle of retaliation,
we may again feel what it is to belong to the human race, rather than
a distant arrogant nation which has come to feel inviolable, able to
portion out its compassion while keeping our central focus on our own
selfish interests.

If this earns me the anger of my precious family of iris lovers,
sobeit, but I feel it needs to be said.

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA -- not the safe little island it often feels,
since a major Navy Airforce Base is on this island and a logical

-- In iris-talk@y..., THEO1415@a... wrote:
> Sylvain ... what a wonderful thought.   I am glad I understand
French.  It is
> a beautiful comment.   I have thought of late, so often, that we
had lost our
> soul.  Despite all of the horrendous tragedy, we and our friends,
have drawn
> together, as during World War II, as one nation ...  We have
regained our
> soul.    Theo1415

Monitoring Service trial