Re: Everyone is an american

  • Subject: Re: Everyone is an american
  • From: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 05:09:06 -0000

I just want to add to my comment that -- once again -- it is the
innocent who pay the price for acts of 'state.'  Can't we just STOP
all this power-playing and focus on all that binds us together as
human beings?  I keep thinking of the old saw that if middle-aged
politicians et al power brokers were the ones who had to actually be
among those in the line of fire, there would be a quick end to wars.

-- In iris-talk@y..., pbrooks@w... wrote:
> Theo,
> Your statement about losing, and now regaining, our soul as a
> moves me to share a thought which may be felt too political to be
> appropriate, but...
> Throughout what was called the Gulf War, watching with a sickened,
> heavy heart as U.S. planes bombed the bejeezus out of Arabs and
> country, from a safe height, with a nation held rapt by the TV
> pyrotechnics, the self-congratulations of Bush Sr. and our other
> political 'leaders' about wreaking such destruction without a
> American fatality, made me say to a friend, "This is the worst
> that could happen to this country."
> Declaring such cold-blooded havoc and death a 'victory' made me
> we had really lost our soul, as you say.  This belated consequence,
> as I can't but see it, horrific as it is, has a kind of
> inevitability, even justice, to it that make me feel, as we band
> together now and feel for each other, that we are regaining our
> soul.  Now if we can just resist this vicious circle of
> we may again feel what it is to belong to the human race, rather
> a distant arrogant nation which has come to feel inviolable, able
> portion out its compassion while keeping our central focus on our
> selfish interests.
> If this earns me the anger of my precious family of iris lovers,
> sobeit, but I feel it needs to be said.
> Patricia Brooks
> Whidbey Island, WA -- not the safe little island it often feels,
> since a major Navy Airforce Base is on this island and a logical
> target.
> -- In iris-talk@y..., THEO1415@a... wrote:
> > Sylvain ... what a wonderful thought.   I am glad I understand
> French.  It is
> > a beautiful comment.   I have thought of late, so often, that we
> had lost our
> > soul.  Despite all of the horrendous tragedy, we and our friends,
> have drawn
> > together, as during World War II, as one nation ...  We have
> regained our
> > soul.    Theo1415

Monitoring Service trial