Re: OT: Editorial

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] OT: Editorial
  • From: Ann Pearce <jac@senet.com.au>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:32:29 +0800

Dave, please do not leave the list.  You are a valued member of iris-talk.
While I understand why Paul reacted the way he did to the editorial, I did
not feel the same way, as I can also appreciate the spirit in which the
editorial was both written and sent.
I just wanted to let Dave know that he has not automatically offended all
Australians or other foreigners by his post.  As Gerry has pointed out, the
fact that the editorial was written by a foreigner makes all the difference
to the tone of the message.  I think that, as Paul suggested, the reason
that the United States often does not receive help in times of crisis is
that it is seen as being better able to help itself than a lot of smaller
countries can.  The current situation is entirely different, however.  This
kind of terrorism is something that poses a threat to all democracies, and
to the freedoms we all take for granted.
	While I am, along with many others, concerned that conclusive evidence be
found before any retaliatory action is taken, I am still glad that
Australia is such a close ally of the US.  In addition to the fact that
this is a situation that indirectly affects us all, there are also
Australians directly affected by this tragedy.  At least 3 Australians have
been killed, with 58 more (who worked in the vicinity of the World Trade
Centre) missing, and our national leader, Prime Minister John Howard, was 3
blocks away from the Pentagon at the time the plane crashed into it.

Our thoughts, however, are mainly with the huge number of Americans who
have lost loved ones in this tragedy.  I don't think I can express my
sentiments on this better than some of my fellow Australians have already,
so I will just add that I am glad to hear that Dave's son is safe.

Ann Pearce
Western Australia

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search