RE: OT: Further to Editorial

  • Subject: RE: OT: Further to Editorial
  • From: "David Silverberg" <sil1812@molalla.net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:35:41 -0700

To all iris-talkers:

I have spent most of the day out in the garden digging iris and in doing so have had a great deal of time to think over the events (net-wise) of the last couple of days. Let me preface my remarks by telling you that I received a phone call this morning from John Jones about my leaving the group. I will not divulge the contents of our conversation. That is private between John and I.

I have not read my all my e-mail but I can see from the tenor of the subjects that most of you want me to remain. I don't know that I should read them since I have no need for self agrandisement.

I must tell you that I am fiercely patriotic. I lived through the horrible years of WW 2 and I served with the US Army in Korea. I get teary eyed when they play The Star Spangled Banner and I stand and salute properly whenever the flag passes by. Am I upset with Paul for his reply to my use of the Editorial?? I suppose I should have been - BUT - in his reply to me Paul indicated HIS patriotism in informing me that there was a special crew of Australians coming to the USA to assist in the rescue operations. Any man who demonstrates his patriotism, as Paul did, - out front, on his sleeve (as it were) and up close and personal - has earned my total admiration.

I have contacted Paul privately and I hope that whatever differences that we may have had in the past will remain there - in the past.

There were, probably, many more things that I thought of writing while I was out there digging but they have all gone out there to that well of forgetfullness that comes with age. And besides that - I think I have shot my mouth off enough for one day

One last point - if any of the members of this forum has written to Paul in my defense because they thought he was "flaming" me Please, Please, Please!!! write back to him and apologize. I did not view his remarks as "flaming" but rather, as I have indicated above - his display of patriotism.

Dave Silverberg
Molalla, Oregon USA, zone 7/8ish

Monitoring Service trial