OLD GLORY

  • Subject: OLD GLORY
  • From: "David Silverberg" <sil1812@molalla.net>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:42:47 -0700

I AM THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

 I am the flag of the United States of America.
 My name is Old Glory.
 I fly atop the world's tallest buildings.
 I stand watch in America's halls of justice.
 I fly majestically over institutions of learning.
 I stand guard with power in the world.
 Look up and see me.

 I stand for peace, honor, truth and justice.
 I stand for freedom.
 I am confident.
 I am arrogant.
 I am proud.

 When I am flown with my fellow banners,
 my head is a little higher,
 my colors a little truer.

 I bow to no one!
 I am recognized all over the world.
 I am worshipped - I am saluted.
 I am loved - I am revered.
 I am respected -- and I am feared.

 I have fought in every battle of every war
 for more then 200 years.
 I was flown at Valley Forge, Gettysburg,
 Shiloh and Appomattox.
 I was there at San Juan Hill,
 the trenches of France,
 in the Argonne Forest, Anzio, Rome
 and the beaches of Normandy, Guam, Okinawa.
 The people of Korea, Vietnam and Kuwait
 know me as a banner of freedom.
 I was there.
 I led my troops,
 I was dirty, battleworn and tired,
 but my soldiers cheered me
 And I was proud.
 I have been burned, torn and trampled
 on the streets of countries I have helped set free.
 It does not hurt,  for I am invincible.

 I have slipped the bonds of Earth
 and stood watch over the uncharted frontiers of space
 from my vantage point on the moon.
 I have borne silent witness
 to all of America's finest hours.
 But my finest hours are yet to come.

 When I am torn into strips and used as bandages
 for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
 When I am flown at half-mast to honor my countryman,
 when I lie in the trembling arms of a grieving parent
 at the grave of their fallen son or daughter,
 or in the arms of a child or spouse who will have to go on
 without one who gave their life in a national disaster
 to save the life of another,  as so many did at the Pentagon
or the World Trade Center Towers on 9/11/01.

 MY NAME IS OLD GLORY,  LONG MAY I WAVE.

Monitoring Service trial