CULT: Soil mix for seeds

  • Subject: CULT: Soil mix for seeds
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:45:57 -0000

Please forgive me, folks, for intruding into the processing of the
events of Tuesday, but I have a pressing need for some information.

I am going to go after supplies tomorrow -- with my son's borrowed
pickup -- to make up the mix for outdoor, in the garden germinating
my iris crosses.  I'm going to be using various sized pots sunk to
their rims in the garden, but into them I want to put a mix that will
give me the maximum rate of germination here in the North Carolina
mountains.

Moisture won't be restricted.  Not only are we getting abundant rain
for a change, but I have access to supplemental water if I am willing
to shell out the substantial price of it to the City of Asheville.
Given that--what do I need to consider in making up a potting mix for
the seeds?

Last year I bought a potting soil that nearly killed my seedlings.
It was so dense and set up so hard the babies couldn't break through
unless I helped them.  None of that stuff again!

My garden soil is sticky clay.  I've have some rock-free screened
soil ready, but don't know whether to use it at all or even in part
in my mix.

Would anyone care to share what has worked for them that could be
expected to work also in our humid, chilly but only occasionally
frozen continental winter?

Neil Mogensen  z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC

Monitoring Service trial