Re: CULT: Soil mix for seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Soil mix for seeds
  • From: doris1434@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:47:25 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/2001 3:33:21 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

> Would anyone care to share what has worked for them that could be
> expected to work also in our humid, chilly but only occasionally
> frozen continental winter?

Hi Neil:
       I'm in zone 7 also, El Paso. . .Not the same but . . .  I use a
non-soil mix of peat, vermiculite and perlite for virtually EVERYTHING. My
iris do WONDERFUL in it, sending out strong roots quickly. The drainage is
excellent but with that come fast dry-out. . The product I use is Pro-Mix - I
don't know if it's available in your area but any professional quality
soil-less mixture will work. I buy mine by the 3.8 cu ft. bail. I love the
stuff! My seeds germinate and root up quickly, my house plants do too darn
well! and the iris love it!

Doris Elevier, El Paso, TX Zone 7, AHS 9-10 Hot and dry. Rainfall so far this
year -1.35 inches. (I think we're up to 2.5 inches!!)

Monitoring Service trial