HYB: question - peroxide & seed stratification

  • Subject: HYB: question - peroxide & seed stratification
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:36:38 -0400

Well, my absent mindedness left my experimental seeds soaking in the
toilet tank for almost a month instead of the list-recommended ten
days.  Also, I forgot that I keep a big tablet of Clorox toilet bowl
'cleaner' in the tank - bleached out the toes of the nylon stockings
that the seeds were in.  I guess this stuff is some kind of peroxide
producing concoction?  I don't have a package label here to see what's
in it.

Anybody care to guess what damage I might have done to the seeds in this
accidental experiment?

The seeds are now in the fridge, still in their damp stockings, in a
plastic baggie.  I take them out and rinse them every day just to make
sure I don't forget about them (again!).  I had hoped to be able to
plant them outdoors by the end of this month so that they might get a
little bit of growth before really cold weather hits (which sometimes
happens as early as November, tho it usually will be warm again before
January).  I will be putting them in a well-protected coldframe that
will keep them from freezing unless temps drop below 10oF or so (rarely
happens till January & didn't happen at all last winter).

What's the minimum amount of time I can refrigerate them and get
'immediate' germination when I pot them up?

Thanks, Neil, for asking the seedling germination question and reminding
me to rescue my seeds from the toilet tank!

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!