Re: Re:AIS:Obituary Larry Harder

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re:AIS:Obituary Larry Harder
  • From: abefeuerstein@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 15:07:51 EDT

Ditto, Carryl, about Larry Harder's other plant society activities.  How did
this guy ever work?  I first learned about Larry Harder through James
McWhirter, my partner, who related stories about Larry's visits to the old
Cottage Gardens in Hayward, California.  In subsequent years, I stayed up
many a convention night talking, gossiping, and laughing with Larry.  He was
also helpful in smuggling plants for me -- well, not quite smuggling, but we
would visit a nursery during a convention, find a plant (typically a hosta),
and he would wrap the plant in newspaper and plastic in a way that, by golly,
the plant could be transported in the luggage and replanted in my garden with
very little risk of loss.  I visited Larry's own garden in Ponca, Neb in 1990
at the Omaha AIS convention and, again, in 1999 while conducting a judge's
training in the Lincoln, Neb. area.  You cannot imagine a garden more crowded
with plants.  It did not seem possible that this spacious and interesting
landscape could hold another plant.   And yet there were literally hundreds
of containers ready to be moved into the garden.

Many people knew Larry better than I did, but I sure will miss him, too.

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!