Re: Re: CULT: Soil mix for seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: Soil mix for seeds
  • From: cathycampi@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 15:44:09 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/01 7:39:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

> Anyone else who cares to share their own successes -- or failures --in seed
> handling will be helping those others, I among them, who are looking for
> better ways to germinate iris seeds.  There's nothing very fruitful about
> fifty seeds from a cross, then have only three or five or ten of them
> sprout and grow.
>
> Neil Mogensen   z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC

Some failures:

Clay and sand mixtures make bricks if they dry out. Any direct sun can dry
out pots quickly. Small pots and shallow planting are prone to quick drying
and excessive heat.

Partial success: good garden loam in pots under shady trees.

Success this year:

1 gallon pots with professional soiless SEEDLING mix.Actually a homemade
imitatation of Spagnum moss,vermiculite and perlite. Seeds were planted an
inch deep. Located on shelf in the garage about 25% of this springs seed pods
have germinated. They will remain over winter in a cool but frostfree
environment. Thanks to Larry Lauer and all the Suttons for helping us get
this right.

We didn't place the pots in the shade of trees because the only trees we have
are in our new small orchard and would be in the way of weed control.

Cathleen Campi
Zone 9b,Stockton Ca.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search