Re: TB:new growth oddity

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] TB:new growth oddity
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 21:44:56 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/01 5:16:44 PM Mountain Daylight Time, lmann@icx.net

> I saw a 'thicket' of new fans developing on momma and grandmama rhizome
> sections (you know, the parts we throw away) in the MIDDLE of a clump of
> mature fans.  Very strange looking, and only one clump of iris doing
> this.
> Anybody else ever see anything like this?
> It's one of my IMMORTALITY X CELEBRATION SONG seedlings.

Yes -- but rarely -- and any such seedling I find gets high marks for

There appear to be both genetic & cultural components.

Genetic:  open growth habits, self-sustaining-but-not-excessive increase,
clean separation of mature rhizomes, and rot-resistance.

Cultural:  excellent drainage & sufficient potash.

Sharon McAllister

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!