Re: CULT: Soil mix for seeds

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Soil mix for seeds
  • From: neilm@charter.net
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 10:36:40 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., "Hensler" <christyh@p...> wrote:
" Neil,>
> ProMix is the best potting mix I've run across so far...."

In a visit to a local garden center yesterday morning I was
introduced to ProMix.  My questions about Perlite and Vermiculite
provoked a question, "Have you considered....?"

When I got home with the bag--light as a feather--I found a familiar
sight.  A lot of things I have bought in the past few years have been
grown in this product...which gives me some confidence.

Pots got dug out of the storage area yesterday, and after reading
some of the posts I think I need to stay with to some of the larger
ones.  At first I intended to use mostly 4", but since I have
plenty of the gallon size and plenty too of the ProMix, there's no
reason not to use the larger.

Following Walter's method I also got sand.  Laurie Frazer has found
sand around rhizomes in her heavy clay soil a help in dealing with
soft rot, and Walter uses sand on the top of his seeds.  Why not?
Sounds like a solution to a problem I've had with seeds floating up
out of their bed following a heavy downpour.

Neil Mogensen   z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!