Re: Re: CULT: Soil mix for seeds

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: Soil mix for seeds
  • From: storylade@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 09:44:34 EDT

In a message dated 9/16/01 5:38:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

<< Sounds like a solution to a problem I've had with seeds floating up
 out of their bed following a heavy downpour. >>

Neil, another thing that helps with this is to water the pots (plus soil)
well and let the soil compact some BEFORE planting the seed.  It helps a lot.
 I use BACTO, another premix which is available at the local nursery.  Pots
that work well, for me, are mum pots.  I believe they are 8 inch, anyway the
size that was traditionally used for potted mums.  I buy them used at the
local nursery.

On another thread . . . on occasions that I have been unable to plant
seedlings the year they sprouted . . . I have left them setting in the pots
over winter, often in a more protected spot, without much damage.  A few
weaker ones will perish, but that is considered a good thing.  It might not
work in harsher climates.  You might try burying the pots and mounding with
leaves etc.

Still another . . . I don't go through the holding tank, refreigerator,
freezer routine.  My memory is too poor.  But, once the seed are in the pots,
I water them well, and try to water again every day for a week or so.  OR
until I forget!

Betty in BG KY where yet another Immortality child, maybe that should be
grandchild, is putting up a stalk.  (No previous rebloom) Always good to see.

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!