Re: TB: new growth oddity

  • Subject: Re: TB: new growth oddity
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:24:17 -0400

Sharon McAllister wrote:
<There appear to be both genetic & cultural components.
Genetic:  open growth habits, se,
clean separation of mature rhizomes, and rot-resistance.>

This one definitely has what I would describe as open growth habits &
probably self-sustaining-but-not-excessive increase, & rot-resistance
(the main thing I select for, whether I mean to or not!).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'clean separation of mature
rhizomes'.  I will try to get a photo posted.

<Cultural:  excellent drainage & sufficient potash.>
My gravelly soil sees to excellent drainage.  These seedlings are in an
area with quite a bit more loam and clay content at the surface than
most of the area available for gardening, but is still a big mix of
gravelly creek alluvium/colluvium underneath if not at the surface.  And
6-12-12 probably sees to sufficient potash.

Thanks Sharon.  I especially like your comment '..any such seedling I
find gets high marks for gardenability.'  Like so many of my unprotected
irises, it got frozen out last spring, but I think it was one of many
with fairly nice-but-nothing-new white ruffled blooms.  But just maybe
this will be my hoped for contribution to the pool of future 'granny

I hope my server will let me send this - it is currently stuck in a loop
trying to download what looks like some viral/worm email, then tells me
it can't erase it from the server after sending the message to me and
locks up refusing to deliver more mail.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!