Re: OT-CHAT: caterpillars & spiders

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] OT-CHAT: caterpillars & spiders
  • From: doris1434@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:18:38 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/2001 5:23:40 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
srocha@pacbell.net writes:

> I have a couple of pictures of a spider in my yard, can someone identify
> it? There are two of them in different locations. They have created egg

Hi Steve:
       Those ladies are GOLDEN ORB WEAVERS. They are great insect catchers
since they spin a huge web that catches anything that blunders into it. I had
dozens of them in my three 50ft. rows of tomatoes. I had to carry a stick to
get the webs out of my way every single day when I picked. The ORB WEAVERS
are not aggressive at all. . when disturbed, they scoot and hide. And no
matter how many times I had to tear their webs, they were all right back in
place the next day!

Doris Elevier, El Paso, TX Zone 7, AHS 9-10 Hot and dry. Rainfall so far this
year -1.35 inches.

Monitoring Service trial