HIST:TB: Pathfinder

  • Subject: HIST:TB: Pathfinder
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:03:11 -0600

> From: Smith, Karen R <smithkr2@corning.com>
>
> Thank you Neil and others who have responded.  Does anyone know actually
what color this Iris is?  Perhaps there is a more recent variety that is
similar?  This may sound odd but... my full time hobby is raising show
dogs.  The litter I have right now is all being named after TB iris
varieties.  I have chosen Pathfinder for my little boy.  Any other info
would be greatly appreciated.

Neil Mogensen wrote:
> > Some of the gardens that carry historic
> > irises may have it.  May I suggest you contact Jeff Walters (who is a
> > member of this list)? The HIPS (Historical Iris Preservation Society)
works to preserve
> > significant historic varieties.

Karen,

PATHFINDER is a TB iris that was bred by Mrs. C.G. (Agnes) Whiting, a
leading iris hybridizer of her day, and introduced in 1948. It received an
HM award from the AIS the year of its introduction. The following
description of PATHFINDER appeared in the 1952 Syllmar Iris Gardens
catalog:

"Although this is termed a blend, it is near true pink. The blooms are of
extremely heavy substance with both standards and falls very wide and full
with the added charm of a glistening texture. The branching is close, but
the stems are strong. Vigorous and prolific of bloom and increase.
Mid-season. 35 inches."

There is one commercial source of historic irises that currently lists
PATHFINDER, as follows:

Bluebird Haven Iris Garden
Mary Hess, Proprietor
6940 Fairplay Rd., Somerset, CA 95684