Re: OT-CHAT: Garden Spider, Iris Companion

  • Subject: Re: OT-CHAT: Garden Spider, Iris Companion
  • From: "Kitty & Bruce Loberg" <loberg@jps.net>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:23:28 -0700

> Your spider is Argiope aurantia, commonly known as the Garden Spider,
> Writing Spider, or Black-and-Yellow Argiope.  This spider is found
predominantly
>  in moist areas and is absent from most of  the arid southwest.  In the
>  United States, it becomes scarce west of  Missouri.    It has been
recorded
>  on the west coast from Tiajuana to Portland, Oregon.
Dear Bill and others,
  yes...   I've known a spider most of my gardening life here in Mendocino
County (Calif.) that looks like this (re Steve & Sharlyn Rocha's picture).
I've always called it the "Garden Spider", it makes the same web you
describe, it comes late in the summer, and I consider it my Iris Spider
Companion.   My family knows that they dare not touch this spider or face
the wrath and retribution from a garder gone berserk!
      I've had this one large spider appear in exactly the same spot, last
year being the third year in a row until it met my cat, and I kind of
wondered if it had survived through each winter (against my house where it
had frost protection).   Bill, if it bites, what's it level of toxicity?
My cat decided to pester (play) with this one, and the spider disappeared
one day shortly after that, and my cat began to drool around the mouth for
several days, and I wondered.
Kitty Loberg

Monitoring Service trial