Re: OT-CHAT: caterpillars & spiders

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] OT-CHAT: caterpillars & spiders
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:26:15 -0500

Looks the same or very similar to one called a 'cotton spider' in these
parts.  But Bill Shear says:

>This spider is found predominantly in moist areas and is absent from most
>the arid southwest.  It has been recorded from New Brunswick, Canada, south
>to Guatemala City.  In the United States, it becomes scarce west of

so maybe what is here is just a close relative?  We would certainly fall
into the arid southwest category.  They are very common from late mid-summer
into falls.  The description of the zigzag in the web matches very well.
They, along with the ubiquitous 'daddy longlegs' are one of the few spiders
looked upon with favor by most (not all) folks.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Monitoring Service trial