Re: Re: OT-CHAT: Garden Spider, Iris Companion

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: OT-CHAT: Garden Spider, Iris Companion
  • From: gmbeasle@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 07:41:57 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/01 11:35:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, wshear@hsc.edu
writes:

>  You would have to work hard to get Argiope to bite defensively--as is true
>  of most spiders.  For all the good they do in helping to control insect
>  populations, spiders are much maligned.  Almost any unexplained dermatitis
>  will be attributed by a physician to "spider bites."  In truth, spider
bites
>  are very rare, and except for those of a few species, are of no health
>  significance

I don't know whether it was this species or not (based on your description of
the bite probably not), but I was mowing the lawn one day, and unbeknownst to
me, a large field spider had been brushed off a tree into my hair.  (I think
a cedar tree, but not sure).  I brushed my hand through my hair and I guess I
brushed her along with some itchy cedar bits down into the back of my jeans.
I put my hand back there to get the itchy bits out, and the spider got one
leg caught under my watch.  At that point, the spider bit me quite severely.
That was the first I knew it was there.  It was quite painful, and took about
a month to heal.

In any case, I regard spiders as good, and never disturb their webs if I can
help it (although if they spin one across the entrance doorway I will take it
down each morning), and don't kill them unless I think they may be a brown
recluse or something.

Monitoring Service trial