Re: Re: OT-CHAT: Garden Spider, Iris Companion

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: OT-CHAT: Garden Spider, Iris Companion
  • From: melody ross <melrossmt@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:34:33 -0700 (PDT)

I had to ask this as there seem to be a large amount
of "hobo" or aggressive house spiders here for the
last couple of years ( to the point our local paper
wrote a smell, basicly uninformative, article; stating
the hobo and possibly brown recluse were here to
stay). I know the recluse bite is bad, but the paper
article did'nt talk about the hobo bite except to say
"it will bite you, hence the subtitle aggressive".
I have had a couple this year that most certanly are
not shy! They chased my cat and one chased my dog. Do
you know just how bad are the "hobo" bites?
Thank you
Mel Zone 4 central MT
--- Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu> wrote:
> On 9/21/01 11:23 AM, "Kitty & Bruce Loberg"
> <loberg@jps.net> wrote:
> You would have to work hard to get Argiope to bite
> defensively--as is true
> of most spiders.  For all the good they do in
> helping to control insect
> populations, spiders are much maligned.  Almost any
> unexplained dermatitis
> will be attributed by a physician to "spider bites."
>  In truth, spider bites
> are very rare, and except for those of a few
> species, are of no health
> significance.
> >
> Bill S.

Do You Yahoo!?