OT: CHAT Iris-talk about iris

  • Subject: OT: CHAT Iris-talk about iris
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 11:14:54 -0400

I am relieved that the conversation has turned back mostly to matters dealing with iris.

Linda, I hear your distress in your signature note.  May I ask for patience?  This has been a very difficult couple of weeks for everyone...grief has its place, takes time, needs conversation and sharing to soften.  That our conversation  turned for a time to those events, even displacing "Iris-talk," was both natural and inevitable.  But do note--it has mostly come to an end.  We're back to matters of seeds and soils, rebloomers and hybrid hopes.

Would it be a miracle if some of your seeds survived their extended Chlorox bath?

As to chilling requirement, I could offer a guess.  How about 40 days?  Six weeks give or take a few days?  I stratified my SIGNA seeds 33 days during the winter and that worked for Siberians, worked so-so for versicolor, and I didn't get a single bearded seed (mostly aphyllas) to germinate.  Either the chill wasn't long enough or I didn't leach the inhibitors long enough.  Hopefully the seed hasn't rotted and I get somegermination in the spring.

Neil Mogensen  z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC  where the iris need pontoons right now.

Monitoring Service trial