Re: HYB: stratification

  • Subject: Re: HYB: stratification
  • From: pbrooks@whidbey.net
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 02:52:23 -0000

May the gods of iris be with you in your experimenting, Linda.  I'm
trying just about everything advised -- in freezer, in refrigerator,
soaking, cold-frame/seedling bed, etc. -- on halfs from one cross
where possible.  I'll report when the results are in -- hopefully,
SOME will come in.

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA, zone 8/9

--- In iris-talk@y..., Linda Mann <lmann@v...> wrote:
> No replies to my requests for help re: minimum amount of chilling
needed
> for germination of TB seeds, so I am experimenting.  Pulled two
seeds
> out last Monday and will continue to do so till they are all out.  I
> figure if none of them come up in a reasonable length of time, I can
> always put them outdoors to stratify over the winter.
>
> Assuming I haven't killed them outright by the toilet tank soaking -
> turns out that Clorox bowl disinfectant tablet has chlorine and
bromine
> in it, not peroxide!  Yowtch.
>
> What a waste of good seeds.
>
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
> this list seems to not be about irises any more - no wonder I have
> gotten no replies or help on my iris question.  I am down to reading
> posts only every few days now & suspect others who are mostly
interested
> in reading about irises and have enough stress in their lives from
other
> sources are doing much the same.

Monitoring Service trial