CULT: siberians in pots

  • Subject: CULT: siberians in pots
  • From: "Applepieiris" <kenl12@abac.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:55:16 -0700

Hello all,
We have had success growing Siberians in large 5 gallon pots. We found this out by accident ,not having any place in the ground for them. We use WHITNEY FARMS, UNCLE MALCOLM'S potting soil exclusively with nothing else added.( except fertilizer) The benefit of the pots is that when the foliage dies back you do not have to see it in the main part of your garden.( the plant looks dead but comes back each spring)
We also use this potting soil for starting seedlings. We are now like "The old woman in the shoe" too many seedlings everywhere. Most of the seeds come up and here we are responsible for all of these new lives.( haven't composted any yet, but know we should .We think they are all beauties)
We live in California where it snows but never goes below 20 degrees for an extended period of time. We plant the seeds in Nov. water them and leave outside , no special soaking at all.
I am the editor of our society newsletter. Most of our members live in a warmer climate( 40-50 degrees lowest) and probably need to take the extraordinary measures some of you have  been talking about.( Soaking etc.)
Is there a tried and true method of germinating seeds in warmer climates? If so I would like to share these methods with the Society members in San Diego.( We are already "babysitting several members seeds as they germinate freely here.)
Ken and Christie Pierson
Zone 7-8, Sunset Magazine ,Zone 3
Julian ,Ca (Region 15)
Have been away from iris -talk for a long time due to comp virus. New comp gets checked almost every day " once bitten"

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!