Re: CULT: siberians in pots

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: siberians in pots
  • From: Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:27:22 -0400

On 9/25/01 1:55 PM, "Applepieiris" <kenl12@abac.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> We have had success growing Siberians in large 5 gallon pots. We found this
> out by accident ,not having any place in the ground for them. We use WHITNEY
> FARMS, UNCLE MALCOLM'S potting soil exclusively with nothing else added.(
> except fertilizer) The benefit of the pots is that when the foliage dies back
> you do not have to see it in the main part of your garden.( the plant looks
> dead but comes back each spring)
> We also use this potting soil for starting seedlings. We are now like "The old
> woman in the shoe" too many seedlings everywhere. Most of the seeds come up
> and here we are responsible for all of these new lives.( haven't composted any
> yet, but know we should .We think they are all beauties)
> We live in California where it snows but never goes below 20 degrees for an
> extended period of time. We plant the seeds in Nov. water them and leave
> outside , no special soaking at all.
> I am the editor of our society newsletter. Most of our members live in a
> warmer climate( 40-50 degrees lowest) and probably need to take the
> extraordinary measures some of you have  been talking about.( Soaking etc.)
> Is there a tried and true method of germinating seeds in warmer climates? If
> so I would like to share these methods with the Society members in San Diego.(
> We are already "babysitting several members seeds as they germinate freely
> here.)
> Ken and Christie Pierson
> Zone 7-8, Sunset Magazine ,Zone 3
> Julian ,Ca (Region 15)
> Have been away from iris -talk for a long time due to comp virus. New comp
> gets checked almost every day " once bitten"
Welcome back, Ken and Christie.  I used your special fertilizer formula
twice this summer and had very good results.  With some supplemental lime,
we had excellent growth and very little rot.  Most TBs and IBs are now
showing good increase, as well.  Worried about Nitrogen, I left out the
ammonium sulfate and added an equal quantity of hydrated lime.

For those of you who missed the posting on the special fertilizer, maybe
Christie will put it up again.  It really works without "pumping up"
rhizomes to the point where they are likely to rot.

I was in Ken and Christie's garden last spring and it is one of the lovliest
iris gardens I have seen.  I was sorry that I missed most of their
seedlings; the few that were blooming looked very nice indeed.

Bill S.

Monitoring Service trial