Iris growing north of Parry Sound

  • Subject: Iris growing north of Parry Sound
  • From: hederst@zeuter.com
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 00:51:36 -0000

Beginner here.  Living north of Parry Sound.  Sometimes gets as low
as -25.  Last summer (2000) bought and planted 8 varieties of iris.
Soil light sandy with leaves and compost started to be mixed in ..
its better with more leaf matter mixed in this year.   I think they
are what you term TB (tall bearded iris).   Last winter was very very
cold.  This summer I only had one bloom between all 8 plants.
Obviously I am doing something very wrong.  I followed the directions
to plant the iris with the rhizomes exposed.  I did NOT put anything
on top of the iris for winter protection and this may be why no
blooms in summer 2001.  I had gardened in Barrie previously and had
no problems with my iris, but I think it is warmer there.

As fall is coming, does anyone have suggestions?  Should I plant the
rhizome deeper? Or do I still leave the rhizome exposed ... I feel
badly (but thats just an emotional thing) leaving the rhizome so
exposed ... won't it freeze right through?   Or should I just cover
the plant with something?  What is good "cover" for winter
protection?  We have lots of leaves ... would that do?

I have seen some lovely iris blooms up here so I know they CAN grow
well even in this cold climate.  Any help is appreciated.

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!