CULT: Iris growing north of Parry Sound

  • Subject: CULT: Iris growing north of Parry Sound
  • From: BigAlligator@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:13:57 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/01 8:55:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hederst@zeuter.com writes:

<< Living north of Parry Sound.  Sometimes gets as low
 as -25.  Last summer (2000) bought and planted 8 varieties of iris.
 Soil light sandy with leaves and compost started to be mixed in ..
 its better with more leaf matter mixed in this year.   I think they
 are what you term TB (tall bearded iris).   Last winter was very very
 cold.  This summer I only had one bloom between all 8 plants.   >>

     At first, I was wondering where Parry Sound is, but after you mentioned
Barrie, I am assuming it is in Ontario.  Those winter temperatures are not
too cold for most Irises, but what is the length of your summer, and your
normal summer temperatures?
      Also, it often takes a year for Irises to acclimate, so you should have
a much better showing next year.  As for mulching, our Canadian members could
help you better, but it should not be necessary if you have consistant snow
     I am in Florida, and have to grow my TB Irises in pots.  This past
winter, they were exposed to temperatures as low as 12 F, and froze solid,
but were not the least bit harmed.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida.

CLICK HERE to search