Re: CULT: Iris growing north of Parry Sound

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Iris growing north of Parry Sound
  • From: hederst@zeuter.com
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:21:44 -0000

Thank you.  First time message to this group and had not realized
what a wide geographical area was covered.  Yes, we're about 3 hours
north of Toronto.  We plant May 24th - though tulips and daffodils
come up in April - to avoid frost.  And now in Septemer, its cold and
wet, but still above freezing.

It reassuring to know that the rhizomes can survive freezing, and
I'll hang in there until next year to see the iris finally begin to
like northern Ontario.

Still would like to know about level to plant rhizomes and if still
have to be exposed to air.  But you are right, perhaps I will wait
for a reply from someone geographically closer.

Many thanks.  Its nice to know one can get answers so quickly.

S Heder

--- In iris-talk@y..., BigAlligator@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 9/27/01 8:55:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> hederst@z... writes:
> << Living north of Parry Sound.  Sometimes gets as low
>  as -25.  Last summer (2000) bought and planted 8 varieties of
>  Soil light sandy with leaves and compost started to be mixed in ..
>  its better with more leaf matter mixed in this year.   I think
>  are what you term TB (tall bearded iris).   Last winter was very
>  cold.  This summer I only had one bloom between all 8 plants.   >>
>      At first, I was wondering where Parry Sound is, but after you
> Barrie, I am assuming it is in Ontario.  Those winter temperatures
are not
> too cold for most Irises, but what is the length of your summer,
and your
> normal summer temperatures?
>       Also, it often takes a year for Irises to acclimate, so you
should have
> a much better showing next year.  As for mulching, our Canadian
members could
> help you better, but it should not be necessary if you have
consistant snow
> cover..
>      I am in Florida, and have to grow my TB Irises in pots.  This
> winter, they were exposed to temperatures as low as 12 F, and froze
> but were not the least bit harmed.
> Mark A. Cook
> BigAlligator@a...
> Dunnellon, Florida.