Re: OT-CHAT: fungus among us

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] OT-CHAT: fungus among us
  • From: doris1434@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:11:28 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/2001 8:38:28 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
dkramb@badbear.com writes:

> While strolling along one of my iris beds today I was startled to
> find two giant "blobs".  At first I thought it was garbage blown in
> by the wind, but when I poked it and it didn't move, I realized it
> was some kind of mushroom or fungus.  A puffball, maybe?  Anyway,
> walking around the yard some more I found another out in the middle
> of the lawn.  These things are huge (about the size of a football).
> Can anybody tell me what they might be?  I don't know much at all
> about fungusesses.

> Hi Dennis: (fungusesses????  hahaha)
       From your description they sound like puffballs. I have found and used
puffballs that weighed 9 lbs. up in Wisconsin!!  That was the biggest I
found. They averaged 4-5 lbs. If you cut them open and the interior is a soft
solid white, they are prime. If they are turning yellowish, they are past
prime. They are delicious sliced (peeled) dipped in egg and bread crumbs and
fried and they also make a darn good mushroom soup.
       How I envy you!! Down here in El Paso there is no such thing as
mushrooms. . except in the grocery store!

Doris Elevier, El Paso, TX Zone 7, AHS 9-10 Hot and dry. Rainfall so far this
year -1.35 inches.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!