RE: Iris growing north of Parry Sound

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Iris growing north of Parry Sound
  • From: "The Heders" <hederst@zeuter.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:03:01 -0400

Thank you very much for your suggestions ... usefully interspersed through
my questions ... Iris "fans" come available in August for planting ... I
bought it from a nursery 60 miles south of here to make sure the iris were
somewhat acclimatized ... but s I say, the orders are filled for the
customers in early August.  The rz (is that a short form we should use ?
"rz") were a decent size, but perhaps the august planting and the very cold
winter could be the cause of lack of bloom.  We definitely had a good layer
of snow.  The iris are planted on the west side of the house, so this means
they good full sunlight from about 12:30 pm to 7:00 pm, and then a line of
maple trees a few hundred feet away to the west begin to cast a shadow.  So
I think sunlight is OK.  I have a feeling that I just have to be patient and
wait and see what happens next year ... their second year.  Your email gives
me hope.

I've been filling up the garden with lovely forest soil ... well composted
and somewhat sandy loamy (combining with my glacial sand pit soil I am
currently working with).  In the course of doing this, I have probably
covered the RZ a little too much.  You seem to suggest NOT moving anything
this late in the season as it will disturb the roots.  Do you think I cut
just displace the soil above the RZs so that the iris is in a little "well"
with the RZ slight exposed?  ... I would be working from the top so the
roots would not be disturbed.

Someone suggested soil could be a winter "protection" ... so maybe I should
just leave them the way they are with a loose covering of soil on top ...
and then clear it back in the spring.

I really appreciate your comments ... especially as you are "up north"

250 irises ... it must look lovely.

I love gardening ... moved from a good soil / farming district in Barrie, an
hour south of us .. but find that our property - 1.5 mainly tree covered
acres - while it looks quite fertile, when you get right down to digging, is
actually very very very sandy.  So we have lots to do in the next few years
to build up the soil in the, as yet barely existent gardens.  I'll probably
be trying to work with what I've got and do much in the way of natural and
wild flowers suitable to a shady forest, but in the sunny open areas, I did
so want to do irises.  I had a few beauties in my last garden ... easy to
grow, but then the climate and soil were much more hospitable.  I am trying
my tiny "8" irises of different varieties, just to see how they manage, and
if I can get them growing right, I will start adding more.

So perhaps next summer there will be good news for me.  Thank you again for
your past advice .. and any more you send this way.

Susan Heder
Parry Sound, Ontario
(and I guess I should find out my growing/climate region and soil type and
include that, as you do)