RE: Iris growing north of Parry Sound

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] Iris growing north of Parry Sound
  • From: "The Heders" <hederst@zeuter.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:44:49 -0400

Hi Maureen:

I am beginning to understand this zone thing ... PSnd on Georgian Bay is
Zone 5a, but we are inland which makes for a slightly less moderate
temperature, so you may be right at zone 4.

No problem gathering leaves ... we live in a forest ... (though the iris are
in the open for sunlight), but I am getting the sense it isn't a good idea
to pile leaves (especially maple leaves which compact) on the plants ... so
your idea of leaves in a bag is a good one.  In the spring, they will go
into the compost heap on the edge of the property.

In adding soil to my gardens, especially in the last 2 weeks ... I've raised
the gardens about 2", so the soil on the rz is very loose packed and I guess
that won't hurt through the winter.

I guess "medians" are mid height (somewhere between tall and dwarf).  That
is thoughtful of you to offer, but lets see if what I have now make it
through the winter..  If they do, then I will feel more confident about
adding to my collection.

Thanks for the suggestion re Chuck Chapman.  From a couple of other
references it sounds like he has some wonderful iris plants ... and Guelph
is only 2 hours away, so I will try to see some of his plants in the spring.
He also answered my query.

The nice thing has been all the encouragement I've received .. not to
despair ... so I won't and we will see what happens next spring.

With mainly a forest covered property, much of my gardening (never been a
garden here before) will be fairly "natural" working with what the property
... and the surrounding forest have to offer.  But I truly want to try for
iris in the open and sunny spots. And I will have to plan some other blooms
for those times when iris are not in bloom.  What a wonderful thing to START
a garden when everything is a possibility!

People seem to like giving weather reports.  Well have 2 weeks of wet and
grey and drizzle and let's get the wood in and start the woodfire ... its
clear and blue and pleasantly mild .. and the sun at 4:40 is just glorious
on the yellow and red leaves.  I'm outta here and into the garden.

Thanks again.

Suan Heder
Parry Sound (actually Waubamik ... but who would believe it)