Re: TB: Breeding Lines

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] TB: Breeding Lines
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 18:55:45 -0600

> From: Donald Eaves <donald@eastland.net>
> His web page has been listed for several years in the Links section of
> AIS web pages.  Do you suppose the dates by Edward Oliver Essig are
> on his listing?  That would have made Mr. Essig eightynine years old when
> introduced the still wonderful SHINING WATERS and one hundred twenty
> old when he died.

According to the 1939 AIS Checklist E. O. Essig was born in 1884, so he
wouldn't even be 120 years old yet if he were still alive. As Professor of
Entomology at the University of California at Berkeley and noted irisarian,
he undoubtedly led a long and productive life, but we wouldn't want to
mislead Bill Shear into imagining that Professor Essig had discovered the
secret of Eternal Youth!!!  :-)

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!