Re: OT-CHAT: fungus among us

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] OT-CHAT: fungus among us
  • From: doris1434@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 21:21:19 EDT

The analogy that hooked me about mycelium and the fruiting body (fungus) was
likened to the apple tree (mycelium) and the fungus (the apple). I became
interested (actually, obsessed is a better word) in mushrooms a number of
years ago when I had a neighbor totally over react and nearly become
hysterical when her 7 year old daughter picked and brought some mushrooms
home while I was there. I decided to study and study I did. . .I learned to
identify over 150 varieties on sight and for about four years was known as
"the mushroom lady," in my area in Wisconsin. I took groups out on field
trips and taught even the most timid and brain-washed "toodstool" fear laden
folks to identify several safe, virtually foolproof varieties and the
puffballs were one of those safe varieties. I used to have strangers pull up
in my yard, open their car trunks and haul out boxes of mushrooms they had
picked. . mixed up, broken, stems/bases broken off. . so then another lesson
was in order. . GET THE WHOLE MUSHROOM and for ID purposes, get the entire
plant, keep it separate and protected so it remains intact.
       I digress. . sorry folks. . that time in my life was a wonderful one
and mushroom hunting was one of my life pleasures. . going out for two hours
and returning with shopping bags filled with an assortment of the MOST
wonderful wild mushrooms. . . what more can I say???

Doris Elevier, El Paso, TX Zone 7, AHS 9-10 Hot and dry. Rainfall so far this
year -1.35 inches (and not a mushroom ANYWHERE in this damn desert country)

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!