RE: OT: Posting

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk]OT: Posting
  • From: "Steve Szabo" <stevesz@erols.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 22:45:35 -0400

One thing you are forgetting, however, is that this list is a community.
While most of the time, the topic is iris, there are times when there are
worthy topics that might not deal with iris.  As a community, relationships
have developed and this is but one logical place to say some things that may
very well bear saying, though they may have nothing to do with the main

With the tags being used here (at least most of the time) it is
extraordinarily easy to skip over messages that one does not wish to read,
and merely delete them.   I do understand, that for some reason, there are
people who find this to be all too much of a problem.

Myself, I get around 100 messages a day on my home machine, among them items
from this list.  I don't mind the occasional stray message, even though it
only adds to the amount of time I spend reading, rather than working.  There
are also a lot of messages that just get the heave-ho based on the subject
and/or the first few lines of the post.

Having been a member of many lists, as well as running a couple myself, as
well as being a former forum manager on CompuServe, I can appreciate what
John does, as, perhaps, so few of you do, and I feel he does it quite well.

Just remember, if you don't wish to read a message, learn how to delete
them, only a mouse click or keystroke away, in most instances.