Re: Re; CULT.Somedays..well..hmm

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re; CULT.Somedays..well..hmm
  • From: "Colleen Modra" <irises@senet.com.au>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 13:14:57 +1000

It's a magnificent spring day here also with temps in the high 20s C. Had
about an inch and a half of rain last week and more forcast for tomorrow.
We were at the York Penninsula Feild Days during the week. (the largest and
oldest feild days in SA) They have over 700 exhibitors and about 60,000
people.A happier bunch of farmers I've never seen. They're heading for the
third good season in a row, with high wheat and lamb prices. It was the
first time we'd had a stand there and did quite OK, despite the mud and wind
on the first day. The last two days were lovely weather.

I'm find my garden is very confused by the weather. The dwarfs and early IB
are flowering on schedule as are the early TBs. However we have reblooming
TBs flowering early, is it late rebloom or unusually early bloom, I'm not
sure. But we lots of La in bloom or about to bloom. Almost a month early.
Never had Las in bloom in late Sept before. A lot of the daylilies are
flowering earlier than usual, also.

Two blooms on Yes (TB, Blyth) opened this morning, looking absolutely
magnificent  My dwarf Terra Verde that I bought last year, has just finished
blooming, I really like it, a chartreuse creamy green, nice form.

The PCs are looking the best they ever have.

Bought in a lot of new Sibs last year, so am really looking forward to
those. Dying to see what Roaring Jelly looks like, I couldn't resist the

A couple a weeks more and our imports from Suttons will be out of
quarantine, hope they're sufficently confused to be blooming and to survive
a 750 km trip back in the truck. They will all be in pots. (Hope we have
good sales over the next few weeks to pay the huge bill for quarantine)

Must get back to weeding, the gardens open from Monday

Colleen Modra
South Aust
Zone 8/9 Definitely 9 this year