CULT: toxic Canada thistles?

  • Subject: CULT: toxic Canada thistles?
  • From: laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 01 13:23:08 -0600

Hello All,

I have noticed something in my iris beds that I haven't seen mentioned on
the list in the last year or so I've been reading, so I thought I'd see
if anyone else has made a similar observation in their own gardens.  My
farm is overrun in spots with Canada thistle, and it seeds everywhere it
can find a spot.  Then, of course, it quickly establishes large stands by
very fragile underground runners. I have managed to keep it out of my
iris beds for the most part, but it did start to invade one end of one of
the rebloomer beds.  Being too busy this summer to dig it all out, I
relied on hoeing to keep its growth in check.  Unfortunately, all that
did was make it angrier and even more aggressive in its regrowth.  It
made its way into a several TB clumps and eventually pretty much
destroyed them.  I finally painted the thistles with RoundUp several
weeks ago, and the poor assaulted TBs are now making a valiant effort to
send up tiny increases where they had remained entirely stagnant while
the thistles were viable.  And so my question is this - has anyone else
noticed that Canada thistle seems to have a toxic/stagnating effect on
bearded irises?

Just curious,

zone 3b northern MN - clay soil

CLICK HERE to search