Re: CULT: toxic Canada thistles? vs Round-Up

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: toxic Canada thistles? vs Round-Up
  • From: <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 15:35:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, laurief wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have noticed something in my iris beds that I haven't seen mentioned on
> the list in the last year or so I've been reading, so I thought I'd see
> if anyone else has made a similar observation in their own gardens.  My
> farm is overrun in spots with Canada thistle, and it seeds everywhere it
> can find a spot.  Then, of course, it quickly establishes large stands by
> very fragile underground runners. I have managed to keep it out of my
> iris beds for the most part, but it did start to invade one end of one of
> the rebloomer beds.  Being too busy this summer to dig it all out, I
> relied on hoeing to keep its growth in check.  Unfortunately, all that
> did was make it angrier and even more aggressive in its regrowth.  It
> made its way into a several TB clumps and eventually pretty much
> destroyed them.  I finally painted the thistles with RoundUp several
> weeks ago, and the poor assaulted TBs are now making a valiant effort to
> send up tiny increases where they had remained entirely stagnant while
> the thistles were viable.  And so my question is this - has anyone else
> noticed that Canada thistle seems to have a toxic/stagnating effect on
> bearded irises?
> Just curious, Laurie

Hi folks,
When I'm spraying Round-Up on mixtures of plants, I use a piece of
newspaper to separate the plants I want to get with Roundp-Up from the
ones I don't. So when I'm trying to kill weeds I put the newspaper
behind the weeds and by the same token the newspaper in front of the
plants I want to save. I thought maybe the Round-Up on the weeds would
touch the "saved" plants and maybe kill them too but this doesn't seem
to happen and only the weeds die.

 --

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada