Re: CULT: toxic Canada thistles? vs Round-Up

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: toxic Canada thistles? vs Round-Up
  • From: laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 01 14:43:17 -0600

>I finally painted the thistles with RoundUp several
>> weeks ago, and the poor assaulted TBs are now making a valiant effort to
>> send up tiny increases where they had remained entirely stagnant while
>> the thistles were viable.  And so my question is this - has anyone else
>> noticed that Canada thistle seems to have a toxic/stagnating effect on
>> bearded irises?
>> Just curious, Laurie
>
>Hi folks,
>When I'm spraying Round-Up on mixtures of plants, I use a piece of
>newspaper to separate the plants I want to get with Roundp-Up from the
>ones I don't.
>Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>

That's precisely why I painted the thistles with RoundUp instead of
spraying.  That way I could control exactly which leaves were treated
with the toxic chemical and which were not.  It was the only way I could
manage to get rid of the thistles growing within the TB clumps without
having to dig them all up.

Laurie

laurief@paulbunyan.net
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/