Re: Bloom "Downunder"

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Bloom "Downunder"
  • From: "Colleen Modra" <irises@senet.com.au>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 08:42:05 +1000

Rosalie

You can keep your tornados, fortunately we don't seem to get them in Aust.
We do however have other hazards. In our low rainfall areas, the main one is
drought. While we've been having great seasons, the huge wheat growing areas
of Western Australia are in their third year of drought. There also has been
drought in inland Queensland and southernVictoria. Certainly some areas are
prone to flood, usually the more tropical areas, but our other main danger
is bush and grass fires. The tropics are of course also prone to hurricanes.
Like you I would have trouble living in a tropical climate. One of the
reasons I like living in the Adelaide Hills, is the seasons. Even on the
Adelaide Plains it never seems to be cold enough to be a real winter, so a
lot of bulbs etc need stratifing to induce flowering. My tulips are looking
magnificent at the moment,and I rarely lift them.

Will keep up the bloom reports, everything is popping out so fast at the
moment

Colleen Modra
 South Australia