Re: CULT: toxic Canada thistles?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: toxic Canada thistles?
  • From: doris1434@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 19:22:30 EDT

Hi Laurie:
       I feel like I may be "preaching to the choir" when I talk with you!! I
had thistles in Arkansas. The trick, secret, whatever, is DON'T LET THEM
FLOWER! About every two weeks I did a "walk-about" with sprayer and RoundUp
(dyed with a red dye), and sprayed every thistle upstart. I did this
faithfully for about 4 years and managed to get rid of them - generally.
There will always be seeds from neighboring farms that blow on your land and
germinate. Whenever I mowed, I carried little flags on skinny metal stakes
with me and stuck them where ever I saw a new plant emerging. If you have
them in your area, you HAVE THEM in your garden - just keep on spraying and
don't let them flower.

Doris Elevier, El Paso, TX Zone 7, AHS 9-10 Hot and dry but getting cooler.

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!