Re: CULT: toxic Canada thistles?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: toxic Canada thistles?
  • From: "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 22:33:19 -0400

Very much so. There must be some substance produced by the thistle
to reduce competition from neighboring plants. We got a stand of
Canadian thistle in one row of our stock plantings, and while it did
not kill the irises, their growth was definitely inhibited.  We have obtained
an herbicide that is supposed to be lethal to thistle and other weeds while
having no effect on the irises. We plan on testing it this season and next,
because our iris farm is very much in the country, and the thistle can be
rampant. The herbicide, Stinger, is however on the expensive side.

John Bruce
Hidden Acres Iris Gardens