Re: Re: CULT: toxic Canada thistles?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT: toxic Canada thistles?
  • From: laurief <laurief@paulbunyan.net>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 01 08:25:07 -0600

Hey Neil,

>Your idea of using a paint brush or sponge brush is excellent.

Thanks, but it's not my idea.  I picked up that handy tip here on
iris-talk.  It's been an absolute life saver.  I can paint a thistle
right in the middle of an iris clump even on a windy day without worrying
about RoundUp drift damaging the surrounding iris.  If any thistle leaf
is right up against an iris leaf, I just don't paint that one.  It works
like a charm!

Another trick I learned here but haven't yet used seems like a very safe
way to spray a patch of grass right up against an iris clump.  Cut the
bottom out of a plastic bottle, place the bottle over the grass or other
weed to be eliminated, then spray herbicide into the bottle from the top.
 The bottle will contain any herbicide drift and protect the adjacent
iris leaves.  You can leave the bottle in place until the herbicide has
completely dried on the weeds.  I'm going to try this one on some grass
that's getting out of hand in the rebloomer beds.

zone 3b northern MN - clay soil

CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!