Re: CULT: best health G/B/K?

Linda -- There's a brief lull in Ernesto's thrashing about outside -- which is ending the year's second month-long drought -- so I did a quick check of the garden. Comparisons are a bit tough. I generally have good luck with Barry Blyth's things. Among his fairly recent ones that I have, good performers are SOPHIA, COFFEE WHISPERS, WEARING RUBIES, ANTIQUITY AND GRACIOUS CURVES. IN A KISS lags behind the others in growth. All of the just mentioned are going into their 3d year in the garden. SOPHIA was the outstanding bloomer. IN THE STARS, planted at the same time and in the same plot, died in its first year without blooming. COFFEE WHISPERS didn't bloom the first year, but is the best increaser of the lot, and its bloom was worth waiting for. YES, in its 2d year here, is a "no" for me. Little increase, and the plant itself not impressive. AURA LIGHT is a better yellow amoena, at least in my garden, and I like the seedlings I get from it. I have seedlings from WEARING RUBIES which I hope to see bloom next spring. The crosses are with some of my own reds. WHO'S YOUR DADDY, now going into its second year here, either didn't bloom or wasn't remarkable.

ROMANTIC MOOD is by far and away the best of Joe Ghio's performers here, although it was introduced almost 20 years ago. Maybe not "although"? I'm having much better luck with ROMANTIC EVENING'S seedlings than with RE itself.

I have SEA POWER, SHARPSHOOTER, SECRET SERVICE, and FIERY TEMPER , of Keith's more recent introductions. None bloomed here the first year. SOCIAL GRACES died. FIERY TEMPER bloomed this year. It's too early to judge between them. -- Griff

From: "Linda Mann" <lmann@lock-net.com>
To: "iris- talk" <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 9:54 AM
Subject: [iris] CULT: best health G/B/K?

Joe, Barry, Keith - just cover your eyes <g>

Any of you growing any new/recent Ghio/Blyth/Keppel introductions that
have impressed you this year with their health - compared to other
introductions from these three?

Now that I know that I can grow some (most?) of these in dirty perlite
in pots <and> get good pollen from some (most?) by bringing them indoors
once they start blooming AND now that I've seen that at least some (if
only I could figure out ahead of time <which> ones!) will produce
seedlings from my superhealthies that are reasonably healthy in my
growing conditions, I'd like to try a few more in pots as potential
parents.  Some of these crosses have been more than "reasonably" healthy
- they are "disgustingly easy" growers <g> - some of the Zurbrigg X
ROMANTIC EVENING, TREASURED, ABOUT TOWN seedlings are especially strong,
as are some Schreiner X Blyth babies.

ROMANTIC EVENING nearly died in the ground here, but is reviving in
dirty perlite.  I think I lost ABOUT TOWN, & haven't tried to grow
TREASURED (borrowed pollen elsewhere).

Finally managed to get some pollen from FOGBOUND onto something, & am
really eager to see how strong those seedlings are.

Appreciate any input.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8