Re: OT-CHAT: Whose Your Daddy, Ernesto?

Anner -- Shortly after my last message, the power went out for about 3 hours. I had already planned a non-power-dependent supper, however, so lighted the main oil lamp and a couple of candelabras and went to work dicing the cherry tomatoes and a just-turned-red pepper from my neighbor's garden. (She plants them along the fence so that I can share the bounty.) These were added to a mix of tomato sauces with mushrooms, basil and cheese and poured atop the ground venison already browning in the skillet, all of which, after simmering for awhile, were ladeled onto a mound of spaghetti and covered with a mantle of parmesan cheese. All of this was eventually washed down with non-alcoholic beer (one must watch the calories, after all) and topped off with a libation of bourbon, in tribute to my Kentucky ancestors. I forewent dessert. Moderatio in omnibus (moderation in all things), as my Benedictine mentors used to say.

The power company has since removed the large tree that fell across the road and did the mischief. The O'Reilly Factor was a re-run, so I happily watched The Mouse That Roared, one of my all-time favorites. -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: <ChatOWhitehall@aol.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 8:33 PM
Subject: [iris] OT-CHAT: Whose Your Daddy, Ernesto?

In a message dated 9/1/2006 5:49:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jeffwiris@yahoo.com writes:

WHO's YOUR DADDY flat out died.

Probably from sheer mortification at the question.

Anner Whitehead

Richmond VA USA--Coming out from under storm Ernesto. Five inches of rain
has fallen since midnight here. Surprisingly strong wind gusts. Minor flooding
everywhere, including my garden, and serious flooding toward the eastern part
of the state. Many trees down in the city, although not as many as would
have gone down had Richmond not lost 20,000 old ones in hurricane Isabell. Lots
of people without power. It is cool. At Chateau Whitehall, we stayed in,
fried up a mess of sweet Italian sausages and peppers, and opened a bottle of
Cotes du Rhone.