Re: Re: HYB: Trans-orange

Thanks, Linda -- I'm glad your messages are getting through again. -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Linda Mann" <lmann@lock-net.com>
To: "iris- talk" <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 9:02 PM
Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: Trans-orange

(trying again - mail not going thru to iris-talk this AM)
Griff, I'm the one who mentioned getting good pollen from it, but no, I
haven't bothered to try to use it as a pod parent.  Not healthy enough
here to be likely to carry a pod to maturity,  or probably even start a
pod.  I've stopped wasting time on attempting to use weaklings as pod
parents - success rates were just way too low.

Ran across an article somewhere that said that pollen was the first to
go under stressful conditions (I think I remember ...), but for irises
here at my place, successful pod fertility goes before pollen
viability.  I've gotten good pollen from absolutely wretched looking
'lollipop' stalks with one or two blooms from single rhizomes with
hardly any green foliage and one foot in the grave.

Haven't gotten to digging TRANS-ORANGE out from under the weeds to see
if it survived the summer - wasn't looking too good this spring, but
maybe it has enjoyed the dry year. Some have surprised me at how well
they've held up under the mats of fallen millet and tangles of morning

------- pause to move weeds around ----------
TRANS-ORANGE has survived nicely!  Surprising to see what has thrived
and what hasn't in this hot dry summer under all those weeds.  In the
little row of Niswonger non-blue amoenas & oranges, it and LEAPS AND
BOUNDS look the best.  KIWI CHEESECAKE and TRANQUIL SUNSHINE, which were

thriving this spring, nearly died out.

If you want (and if I remember), I can try to set some pods on TO using
some potent pollen sources just to see  if it will.

<Linda  --  Has TRANS-ORANGE set seed for you?  --  Griff>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Checked by AVG Free Edition.