Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:14:27 -0700

From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <FJMJEDWARDS@worldnet.att.net>

Subject: [iris] Cult:  Geo Water's Bulletin Article

I was also very impressed with this article and the title the editor

gave it, "Food for Thought"  It is certainly that.

As an amateur  hybridizer, I am very conscious of necessity of combining

beauty and vigor in selecting seedlings.  Substance is also of primary

importance to me.  I want a uniquely beautiful iris that will grow well,

multiply readily and bloom over a long period of time.  I believe that

most iris lovers and most hybridizers desire those qualities and strive

for them.  I have grown a number of seedlings that have impressed me

with their outstanding beauty.  About half of those were weak, either

died,  dwindled or were dug, and no longer exist.  The other half are

growing vigorously in my selected seedling garden.

However, I have a unique climate in which I have been notoriously unable

to grow the Dykes Medal winners.  I fear that these beautiful babies

that are so well adapted to my climate may be complete failures if asked

to grow where Dykes Medal winners do well, which is probably about every

place else.

Therefore, I believe that test gardens in different climates would be

valuable to me.  The American Rose Society has them.  Why can't the AIS

do it?  I find that growing roses is far more hard work than growing

irises.  They not only have to be watered, fertilized, and weeded; they

have to be pruned.

Perhaps we will find that there are Southern irises for the hot climates

and Northern irises for the cold ones.  California irises grow much

better for me than those from Oregon.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9