Re: Re: Fwd: Iris for Various Climates

If you read my messgae carefully I was not dismissing
Chuck's Idea. I only point out that this is a complex
problem. If I thought for sure that Chuck's suggestion
would solve the issue I would be all for it. But i am
not convinced there is a good solution only perhaps
something better than what we have now. I would like
to challenge growers within a region to pick strong
growing Irises they think are of great merit and then
compare how they have functioned in other gardens in
their region. I am certain you will find gardens in
which each has failed. For example George failed with
Irises that grow well for many others in his own
rgeion. Is it the matter of regional differences or
microclimates that we are dealing with. Some west
coast irises have failed many times with our midwest
growers yet Everything Plus grows like a weed. It
originated in our region. But you indicate it is
difficult in your region. I wonder whether it is thr
regions or the garden variables that make the greatest
difference. There has been no good study to sort this
out. Most often I hear people agonizing over what
died. But that is a very unscientific approach.
Records on what lives in each region are much more
informative. I have seen one gardener fail with a
plant while someone a few miles away succeed
extroadinarily well. Should the evidence that it died
be given more attention than the evidence that it
lived? Sometimes individual plants just don't grow
even though the next time you try them they may be
extraordibnarily successful. This is true of all
perennials. Tony Avent has one of the largest
perennial nurseries in the country. During many of his
talks he says he never says a plant will not grow for
him until he has killed it 5 times. I feel the same
way. I have failed with plants that others in my
neighborhood find rediculously easy. In regions were
there are fewer members the chance that you will see
any given Iris succeed is less then regions were a
cultivar is tried by more people. sometimes in a given
area some simple trick seems to solve the problem and
soon everyone is growing the plant.

I do believe some Irises perform better in some
regions than others. But our present ways of assessing
this seem extremely faulty. Whether a Dykes medal
winner or not there will always be gardens that can
kill a given plant. But no one has compiled convincing
data on performance.

I think I know how to grow irises also. But I have had
times when I failed two or three times with a plant in
my garden only to suddenly succeed. Good gardeners are
not afraid to admit failures but they also don't make
judgements based on a sample of only one or two tries.
The fact that a plant is an award winner is not a
guarantee only a reccommendation.

I am always willing to listen to new ideas and am
willing to back a good one when I am convinced. But I
am not certain that this will solve the problems.