CULT: Iris for Various Climates

In a message dated 9/7/2006 3:43:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

<<<Records on what lives in each region are much more  informative.
Back in November, 1999, we did an informal survey here of "The Very  Best of
Our Best," also referred to as our "Favorites" survey, or  the "Good Garden
Irises" survey, all of which amounts to much the  same thing.
I proposed the survey, and did some cheerleading along the way,  and Donald
Eaves stepped up track the results. Some 70 or so folks  participated, and all
kinds of information rolled in. In mid December,  Donald had some numbers for
those who were interested.
The general idea was that anyone could contribute a list of irises of any
variety which had been rewarding to grow. Good plants, in other words,  but not
as AIS defined them, or the nurserymen defined them, or the other  members of
this list defined them, but as the individual list  member defined them. I
thought this approach might bring  forth names of the steadfast and true irises,
and any cream  that had risen to the top in various gardens and climates.
It was a spontaneous and anarchic excercise in data  collection, an excercise
totally unfreighted by any method  or hypothesis, other than the notion that
people would have learned  some interesting and useful things, and would share
In case anyone is interested,  these discussions are still in  the Archives.
It was a wild time here as the century wound down, and there  were more of us
here then, and some were epic blabbermouths --one being  moi-- so do be
prepared to roll along with the flow of things.
_http://www.hort.net/lists/iris/_ (http://www.hort.net/lists/iris/)
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA